Sunday, June 14, 2009

I Hate the Red Wings

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Penguins on beating the Detroit Red Wings for the Stanley Cup. Notice I didn't congratulate them for winning the cup - I don't care about that. All I care about is that Detroit lost (since my beloved Stars didn't make the playoffs this year)..

I hate the Red Wings. They are the Yankees of hockey - so good they feel they are entitled to the championship each and every year. Like the Yankees, they are bigger than Detroit itself - fans all over the country and world, simply because they've been good for so long. Hockey fans either love or hate the Red Wings - there is no middle ground, and it is pretty much an even split. Google 'I hate the Red Wings' and see how many hits you get.....

During this past season, I saw an infant sized shirt for sale in the Stars store. It didn't even have a Stars logo on it. All it said, in red on white, was 'I Can't Even Walk Yet, and I Hate the Red Wings'. Every two year old should have one.

As I strolled down Bourbon Street this past Friday night, I watched the big screens in the bars as Pittsburgh went up 1-0, then 2-0, then as Detroit stormed back and furiously tried to tie it in the last couple of minutes. You could hear an audible gasp up and down the crowded street when time ran out and the final whistle announced death of the Red Wings. Joy to the World!

I am happy for two Penguins, Phillipe Boucher and Bill Guerin, two former Dallas Stars. They were great players while here, and first class guys. (Guerin is #13 in the photo below, scoring over a mass of discombobulated Red Wing defenders.)


So, while my Stars are retooling for the upcoming season and already planning for training camp, I am happy to be able to call the Red Wings 'losers' for the whole upcoming year!

1 comment:

Kath said...

I'm just glad the season is FINALLY over!! Seems to take longer and longer and longer every year. Hockey is for wintertime, not June.