Thursday, December 31, 2009
Now, we're into big money for College athletic programs. If you want a college to play in your bowl, you've got to pay them an enormous sum of money. The number of bowls has exploded - 34 bowls on my list, and I'm sure I missed some of the 'more obscure'. That's 68 teams - about a third of the Division I teams play in a bowl somewhere. Any team that has a .500 record or above has a very good chance of being invited to a bowl somewhere in the country. The bowl names are insignificant - it's all about the sponsorship (the sponsors give you the moiney you have to pay the teams to come to your bowl). Pretty ridiculous ...
New Mexico Bowl (no sponsor?)
St. Petersburg Bowl (no sponsor?)
R&L Carriers Bowl
San Diego Credit Union Bowl
Little Caesars Bowl
Meineke Car Care Bowl
Emerald Nuts Bowl
Gaylord Hotels Bowl
Advocare V100 Bowl
Champs Sports Bowl
Roady's Humanitarian Bowl
Pacific Life Bowl
Bell Helicopter Bowl
Texas Bowl (no sponsor?)
Capital One Bowl
Konica Minolta Bowl
Citi Bowl (second one)
Now, as a player for one of these teams, I would be incredibly proud to take back to the U a trophy that says "Winner - 2009 San Diego Credit Union Bowl".
If a college football playoff system would get rid of all this crap, I'd be all for it.
Update - Yesteday, Dec. 31, the Irving City Council unanimously approved a deal which will declare Kraft Foods the official sponsor of the demolition of Texas Stadium. Yes ... the destruction of the Home of the Cowboys will be sponsored by boxed macaroni and cheese. To be fair ... Kraft will donate $150,000 in food anc cash to local charities, and will have a $1,000,000 ad campaign this coming year leading up to a contest to see who gets to push 'the button'. The City of Irving doesn't get any money from Kraft. Still ....
Until this, the most ridiculous football sponsorship incident I remember was a Cotton Bowl telecast some years ago. Exxon had the naming rights to the Bowl itself. On TV, the opening kickoff was announced as: "Welcome to the Mobil kickoff here at the Exxon Cotton Bowl". This was before, of course, Exxon and Mobil merged.
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Bring it on Philly!
I can't think of a better way to end the regular season than for the Philly Iggles to come here to get their butts whipped for the NFC East crown. Not only will the 'Boys beat them this Sunday, they'll beat them again a week later in the first round of the playoffs. Oh, how nice it will be to skin some bird three ties in the same season!
Oh, and if the 'Boys don't happen to win this Sunday, count on this post being deleted!
My apologies for the few bad words in the video.....
Update - This post will continue to live! BBQ'd bird tastes pretty good today ....
Sunday, December 27, 2009
This year's winner, as announced in today's edition; 'The Heroes of Ft. Hood'.
In addition to honoring those who fell during November's terror attack on the base, it recognizes the thousands of soldiers, civilians, and family members who call the central Texas base home.
A very nice tribute. Especially so, since Outlaw13, native born Texan and long time Ft. Hood family member, is among those honored.
Here's some more info, well worth the read:
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Merry Christmas to you all (even you heathen Democrats ....)
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
-President Ronald Reagan
"A liberal is a man who is willing to spend somebody else's money".
- Sen. Carter Glass (D-VA, 1920-1946)
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
- George Bernard Shaw, playwright
"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth Of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15". - President Ronald Reagan
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries".
- Prime Minister Winston Churchill
"Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt".
- President Herbert Hoover
"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases; if it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it".
- President Ronald Reagan
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Sen. Ben Nelson (D-NE) had been holding out as a key Democrat vote against Obamacare in the Senate. Sen. Nelson sold his vote to Obama/Reid for a concession for Nebraska. The concession is this - Medicaid taxes are going to skyrocket under Obamacare. All of the states are going to have to increase the amount they tax their citizens, and then turn around and send it to Washington - except Nebraska. Nelson got Nebraska an exemption from making such payments, which means that tax payers in all 49 other states will pay for Nebraskans' medicaid. No dollar figure is attached to this, but the estimates I've seen indicate this will amount to about $100,000,000 over the next decade.
Remember that Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA) sold her vote for $300,000,000 in medicaid aid for her state.
Sen. Nelson, responding to criticism of his blatant dropping of his morals in order to cash in using his vote as collateral, responded by stating that three other Democrat Senators approached him on the Senate floor after announcement of the deal, telling him that now that they knew what they could get away with, they would go back to Reid and demand concessions.
Nebraska, Louisiana, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Massachussettes have all received sweetheart deals in the Obamacare bill in order to secure their Senators' votes.
So, like I stated before - our representatives in Congress selling their votes has been time honored thievery. However, it has been kept in the backroom, low key, and usually pretty minor. Leave it to the far left in this country to bring it out into the open, crow about their cleverness in using it, and reveling in all the taxpayer cash they are stealing from us.
It just makes you want to tar and feather every single one of them. Gitmo is too good to house these bastards!
"I think that's just incredibly inappropriate. ... That is the worst in politics. I don't believe most senators believe this is OK. ... I think it stinks. I think it's sleazy." - Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-SC)
Update - The stampede is well underway. Sen. Chris Dodd (D-CT) got a $100,000,000 pile of pork added to Obamacare to cement his vote. The money is to go to a new hospital project in his home state, where he is fighting a very tough re-election campaign.
Friday, December 18, 2009
I write this as I sit in yet another airport waiting on yet another plane on yet another business trip. While on my first flight of the day, I happened to think of what a valuable service I could provide by pointing out things you should and should not do if you are planning on flying this holiday season - or anytime in the future for that matter - if you don't want to piss your fellow passengers off.
First and Foremost - Be Cognizant of Smell
1) Please refrain from eating large portions of garlic the day before you fly. Trust me, Everyone within 20 feet of you in the airport and on the airplane will know what you ate. Garlic oozes from the pores the day after ingestion - it is very noticable.
2) No matter how much perfume/cologne you use, you cannot hide the fact that you do not use deodorant.
3) When it comes to perfume and cologne in general, less is better. No one wants to sit next to someone who has doused themselves with enough stink water to choke a skunk.
4) If you smoke, IT IS NOT ok to smoke 20 cigarrettes just before you enter the airport. Your clothes retain about 50% of the smoke your lungs expel - and all of those around you will pay for it.
Air Expands at Altitude (Related to Smell, above)
1) As you increase altitude, the air pressure outside your body decreases. This means the air inside your body gains volume. You know that bloated feeling you get during a flight? That's all the gas in your innards expanding and telling you its time for it to get out. If you are prone to being gassy on the ground, you will be much more gassy at altitude. I suggest taking a Gas-X or Beano about 30 minutes prior to flight time to avoid this discomfort, and the ugly stares you receive when you let the expanding gasses out into the cabin.
2) Related to 1) above, do not drink sodas or other carbonated drinks before you get on the airplane. It just compounds the gas quantity problem.
3) No matter how cheeky you think you are when shifting in the seat to cover an expulsion of gas, those around you know the truth. About 15 seconds after your shift, it will be abundantly clear to them ....
4) Try not to eat foods that produce large volumes of gas, or do nasty things to your insides, the day before and day of flight. Those around you will appreciate not being overcome by the after affects of a large bowl of chili with beans.
The Crew is not there to service you. The cockpit crew and flight attendants are there to (in order of importance):
1) The safety of the aircraft
2) The safety of the passengers (why is this second - if #1 is skipped, #2 is irrelevant)
99) Providing service to the passengers
Infants and Toddlers are not cute little miracles when they belong to someone else on a plane.
1) If your kid doesn't know about equalizing ear pressure as the plane climbs and descends, it is imperative that you, as parent, provide something for the kid to chew on. If gum is age appropriate, that's fine. If a pacifier is more applicable to their age, or a bottle, go for it. If they are younger than that, mom's natural pacifier is certainly doable. In any case, give them something to get their ears to pop, to relieve their agony, and our agony at having to listen to them.
2) If your kid is sick, especially of a stomach or intestinal variety, DO NOT get on the airplane. Sitting next to a kid who's just vomited all over you at the beginning of a 3 hour flight is enough to drive one insane (this actually happened to me - the mother didn't even apologize).
3) If you have to change a diaper, for God's sake go to the bathroom. It is not acceptable to do it in the seat next to another passenger.
Carryon Food is not always acceptable. You can't get anything to eat on flights anymore, unless you want to overpay for some dried out crap in a paper sack. If you wish to buy some food to consume on the flight, consider these points:
1) Smell (related to smell, above). Don't buy anything that has strong odors. Ceasar salads, seafood, anything with large amounts of garlic or Italian dressing. Your seat neighbors will thank you for not turning their stomachs over.
2) Size - don't buy anything that requires you to spread out over 3 seats to eat. Large sized pizzas, for instance, are a no-no.
3) Quantity - You don't have to have a four course meal on a 2 hour flight. Eat something in the airport before you get on the plane, or wait until you land.
Don't be a Chatty Cathy;
1) It is OK to say hello to those around you on the plane when you sit down. It is OK to be polite to them. It is generally NOT OK to give them your life's history.
2) Very few people want to have conversations with their neighbors from wheels up to touch down. If you are prone to talking a lot, and all you get form your neighbors are one word answers, take the hint and leave them alone.
3) If you are in a group, do not use the flight as a head start on your visiting - especially if alcohol has been consumed. Few things are more annoying than having people spread over several aisles yelling at each other about how much fun they are going to have when they get to wherever they are going.
4) If it is an early or late flight, please keep your mouth shut. It's bad enough trying to catch a nap in a narrow chair that is as comfortable as a wooden bench, without having to try and ignore someone's useless conversation a couple of aisles away.Everything listed above has been seen by myself in person. The arrogance and ignorance of the flying public when it comes to common sense manners is unbelievable. If you're going to fly, please have pity on your fellow passengers - once the door closes, they can't get away from you! The life you save may be your own!
Thursday, December 17, 2009
WBAP has long done things to honor our service personnel. Today, on the live morning show, they made one former soldier and his family very happy.
Sgt. Johnny Wilson (USA-Ret.) was wounded once while serving in Iraq. Rather than take a medical and sit the rest of the war out, he rehabbed and returned to his unit, where he subsequently lost his lower left leg to an IED.
Recently his wife was incapacitated due to a stroke. They, and their 3 kids, moved in with their in-laws, after which the father-in-law was laid off. The whole family is in dire straights. WBAP learned of Sgt. Wilson on an earlier program, where they spoke with him on the phone and learned of his difficulties.
Today, Sgt. Wilson and his family were invited to a Walmart by WBAP, where they were doing a live morning show. Sgt. Wilson believed that they were going to get a few toys for the kids. Instead, they received something that will hopefully change their lives for the better from now on ....
Kudos to WBAP and its on air personalities, staff members, and listerners for arranging for this. This is the proper way to honor our war wounded, it is a shame that it isn't being done for more of them.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
NOTE - the photo above is NOT an Arlan police officer, and NOT the one I wrote about above - it is for illustrative purposes only....
Ms. Hodge was indicted on Federal corruption charges as one of 14 defendants in a recent FBI investigation of corruption in Dallas' City Hall. Several of her co-conspirators, including the main ones, have recently been convicted and sentenced to jail. Ms. Hodge is accused of 8 counts of bribery, 5 counts of fraud, and one count of conspiracy to commit bribery.
Ms. Hodge's trial is scheduled for this coming March, even though the others charged in the case will have come to trial long before that. Why the delay?
Her trial date is six days after the next Democrat primary election for her House seat. Coincidence? Not a chance....
She faces a strong opponent for the Democrat ticket, a fellow named Eric Johnson. Eric is a devout Democrat, an unabashed Obama fan, born and raised in Dallas, a lawyer by trade, and has a strong education background. By all reports, he is the first serious contender for her since she was first elected in 1996. His campaign is so strong that her campaign has called out all of the race baiters and left wing loons it can find to attend a fund raiser for her this coming Thursday night. US Rep Eddie Bernice Johnson, Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price, Dallas Sheriff Lupe Valdez, and every minority member of the Dallas City Council will attend. These idiots would rather support a crooked woman about to face jail time than a man with a clean backround, who has the qualifications to hold the office.
These idiots are constantly crying crocodile tears about the Republican Culture of Corruption, and how whiteys in North Dallas (quoted from John Wiley Price) want to keep the black man down. Here is a chance for them to jump aboard the bandwagon of a clean record newcomer, one who is strictly Democrat, giving them the chance to put some meat behind those tears. Instead, they flock to the side of existing corruption. Kind of a microcosm of what happens in Washington since Obama's election .....
Imagine the repurcussions of this ... she stands a good chance of winning her primary. She could very well be a convicted felon when she faces a Republican candidate in the 2010 general election. A Republican has 0.0000000001% chance of winning in District 100. Being a felon, she couldn't legally run. What a hilarious mess this could turn out to be for the Democrat Party in Dallas!
Oh, and in case anyone thinks this mess is just about race, both Ms. Hodge and Mr. Johnson are African-American. It's about Democrat corruption, continuing it, and covering it up.
Update 2/3/10 - Ms. Hodge pleaded guilty to tax evasion in connection with the ongoing investigation, in a plea deal that will apparently keep the other charges from being brought. The case against her must have been airtight for her to do this. By pleading guilty, she becomes a convicted felon, and unable to serve in office - so her political career is over.
All of this occurred less than a week after prominent Democrats in the city and state governments once again endorsed her over her primary opponent.
Update 2/4/10 - More details came to light today. Ms. Hodge pleaded guilty to not paying taxes on about $32K work of income she received from bribes and money she stole from her campaign funds. However, she did not admit to having taken any bribes or stealing any money.
By taking the plea deal, she faces a maximum of 3 years in jail. If she had been convicted of all the charges facing her, she could have faced up to 100 years. In explaining the plea deal, prosecutors stated that their goal of removing her from office had been accomplished.
In a curious note, her name will remain on the Democrat primary ballot. Every big name African-American in local politics, save one, is continuing to voice their support of her even after yesterday. US Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX) still supports her, and refuses to endorse her opponent. There is a good chance that Ms. Hodge will win the primary, even though she cannot run for the seat again (being a convicted felon). There is no Republican running for the seat. So, the quandry I pointed out originally could very well come to pass - there will be no one actually elected to Texas House District 100's seat.
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Friday, December 11, 2009
Thursday, December 10, 2009
There are two articles inside - tips from Tiger to Obama, and tips from Obama to Tiger. These are like a top 10 list, put together by writers and other golf related pros (Tiger and Obama had no part in the writing of the stories). Obviously, this was written before Tiger's current difficulties came to light.
Here are the very boring lists (after all, it is a golf magazine):
Tiger to Obama
1) The Quick Recovery
2) The Cold Ferocity
3) How to Step on Their Necks
4) The Trouble With Compromise
5) The Value of a Few 'Majors'
6) Controlling the Message - and Spending
7) The Swing Change
8) Clothes the Deal
9) You've Got to Deliver
10) The Danger of Looking Ridiculous
Obama to Tiger
1) Lighten Up
2) The Art of Grace
3) Crush Your Foes, Not Your Fans
4) Save Some for the Losers
5) Dial it Back a Little
6) Less Robot, More Warmth
7) At Least Look Like You're Having Fun
8) Sharing a Personal Moment
9) A Trio of Essential Moves
10) Keep Your Day Job
Now some of those titles ... I could write paragraph upon paragraph to explain what these SHOULD mean, but what the magazine prints is pretty bland.....
The current situation with Tiger, combined with this incredibly ill-timed cover, just begs for parody. I would bet that every late night comedian is going to put out their own '10' lists to capitalize on this. I would imagine that Leno's will be the best, you might want to Tevo it tonight.
I challenge my many millions of readers out there ....
Send me some entries for your top ten lists - Obama to Tiger, Tiger to Obama. I don't care how racy or ludicrous they are. I will publish the results here, and the two I deem to be the best will forever be honored in the VoodooWarrior Blog Hall of Fame.
It might even qualify you for a Nobel Peace Prize - God knows you will have done more to earn it than Obama did ....
- 1.9 million for water taxis in Pleasure Beach, CT. Congress approved the money after a fire destroyed the bridge to Pleasure Beach, but the area already is accessible by foot and rowboats.
- 3.8 million for an urban art trail in Rochester, NY.
- 3.1 million for upgrades to a boat owned by the NY State Museum. The boat dates back to 1921 and was originally used in canals.
- 3 million for bicycle racks in Georgetown -- the Washington, DC, neighborhood that is one of the wealthiest areas in the country.
- 1.5 million to improve the streetscape in the six blocks surrounding a downtown Detroit casino.
- 578,000 for fighting homelessness in Union, NY. According to a local news report, the town never asked for the stimulus money and did not even have a program through which to administer the money. The town supervisor said he wasn't aware of a homelessness problem in the town.
- 550,000 for a skateboard park in Pawtucket, RI.
- 500,000 for fish food in Missouri, to help defray the costs for state fish farmers.
- 400,000 for renovations to a vacant building in Jal, NM.
- 380,350 to encourage landowners in West Virginia to grow shiitake mushrooms and ginseng.
- 90,000 for a communal kitchen in Watsonville, CA. The shared kitchen is meant to help food service entrepreneurs.
So that's about 16.5 million of our dollars pissed away on things that are certainly not needed, and in most cases not wanted.
Now, if you think that's bad, just wait until Obamacare is passed ... it will take page after page of single spaced typing to list all the pork that will be contained in the final bill.
Just to be fair, this isn't just a Democrat problem - abuse of pork is truly one of the few things that is bi-partisan in Washington. Rep. Kirk, who is running for the Senate seat vacated by Obama, was guilty of landing more than 30,000,000 for 19 pork projects in his home district, including a planetarium and a religious outreach program.
Slamming Obama, Reid, and Pelosi for the wasteful use of our tax dollars as a basis for the 2010 mid-term elections is fair game. They ought to be called out for what they are doing. But ... (and it hurts me to say this) ... Republicans doing the call outs really shouldn't be the ones who are just as guilty.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Sadness is hearing that the plane will be entirely full.
Happiness is seeing the plane loaded, and the middle seat next to yours is one of two empties left on the plane.
Sadness is seeing two women rush onto the plane just as the door is about to close. One of the women is nice looking and petite, the other looks like a hillbilly and measures five foot x five foot x five foot.
Happiness is seeing the bowling ball shaped lady take the empty seat 6 rows in front of you.
Happiness is seeing the nice looking petite lady take the empty middle seat next to you.
Sadness is about 5 minutes later, when you realize the nice looking petite lady now sitting next to you apparently doesn't believe in bathing.
Sadness is being stuck next to her for a 3 hour flight.
Oh, the joys of business travel.
Friday, December 4, 2009
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Here he is, speaking to a group in Paris in April of this year, extolling how capitalism is gone, how it has to be merged with socialism, and how Obama is leading the efforts in this and to make America 'more European'. Is it just me, or are the audience members falling asleep?
You can listen to this as crazy ramblings of someone who is not all there, mentally. Or you can listen to it as it actually is - a statement of policy for the Democrats.
Disgusting, and scary ....
video courtesy of Briebart.tv