Saturday, April 10, 2010

So, Who Gets The Ticket?

Ford is offering something it calls Active Park Assist on its Escape and other models. This optional feature uses a computer to search for and then park in a parking space. The computer controls the gas pedal and the steering - the driver is responsible for hitting the brakes.

If you see the TV commercial for this, it shows a dimwit watching in amazement as the steering wheel moves itself, and the vehicle magically parallel parks itself.

Other manufacturers offer the same type system. Other systems, such as collision avoidance, blind spot alerts, automatic braking are available on some top of the line models from manufacturers such as Mercedes.

I've got a question.

If the vehicle hits another vehicle during Auto Park, whose fault is it? Who gets the ticket? Whose insurance pays for it? The manufacturer?

If I, or someone close to me, has an accident in a car equipped with one of these systems, I'm blaming the car and sending the other driver to the manufacturer's insurance agent. If that doesn't work, I'm suing the manufacturer. If a car Auto Parks itself into another vehicle, I'm sure not going to pay for it.

1 comment:

Margot said...

I don't know, but I would bet there are some lawyers who stand to make some money off of this.