Friday, October 30, 2009

Sorry, I Just Don't Understand

The Vampire craze, that is ....

Why are people, mostly women, swooning after pasty faced, skinny teenagers who look like they haven't slept in 3 days? It's like '90210' in the dark ....

Twilight ... movies, books, posters, and all the typical paraphenalia that goes with teenage pop-stars. Except, grown women are hooked on it as well.

True Blood ... HBO series, wierd, ridiculous, geared for a 'mature' audience, nudity, silliness ...

Hundreds of other 'pretenders'. Go to a Barnes&Noble, look at the racks of vampire/werewolf/witch novels lined up in the teen section. Other titles in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section, such as 'Jailbait Zombies', 'Undead Kama Sutra', 'X-Rated Bloodsuckers', 'Nymphos of Rocky Flats' (yes, these are real titles of real books on the shelves right now).

No offense to my wife or daughter, who are both hooked, but I just don't understand all the craziness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I can't help you; I don't get it either. Erotic dreams of something cold, dead and can kill you. Uhmm...sounds more like a disorder more than an attraction. Do you sleep at night with one of those gothic crosses on your chest? lol

Anonymous said...

I've done some research and I need to rescind my previous post...

Let's evaluate. Why would a woman be interested in a "man" who obsessed with meeting my every need, putting me first in all things, swept me away to "places" I had never been before, while all powerful in protecting and providing for me? Wow, can I smoke now?

Hence the genre Romance / Fiction / Fantasy -- it doesn't exist, but I have also been guilty of living vicariously through the pages of a book a time or two.