Friday, October 16, 2009

Mr. Obama, I Have A Question

Actually, a couple of them, but about the same subject. Not that I expect you to see or answer, but I'm going to ask anyway ....

Mr. Obama, your words and actions indicate that you believe the government is far better qualified to determine the course and details of our lives than we, as individuals, are. Given that ...

Welfare payments are made to millions of people across the US. The payments are made in the form of checks, which are made out to and supposed to be cashed by the individual for which they are dispersed to. The money is intended to help those folks with their daily expenses until they can find a job. It is not intended to be their sole source of income, and it is not intended to replace the need for having a job. Welfare is intended to be temporary aid.

Question 1: Why does the federal government allow people to live indefinitely off of welfare? Why are there millions of people who believe that welfare is actually the government paying them not to work?

Question 2: Why does the government write checks to individuals, instead of some other method that would allow some control over what the money is used for? Why does the government allow welfare recipients to use our tax dollars to pay for cigarettes, alcohol, gambling, illegal drugs, etc?

Question 3: Why does the government reward (with additional payments) mothers on welfare who have children while they are on welfare? Seems to me that the Democrat Party, who champions the right of a woman to have an abortion for any reason, would have no problem telling welfare moms that they will not receive more money if they have kids while receiving welfare assistance?

Seems to me that welfare reform that would 1) limit the time period that someone could receive welfare payments (much like unemployment assistance), 2) distribute vouchers for specific products or services instead of cash, and 3) eliminate the financial incentive to have more kids while on welfare ... would cut way down on welfare fraud, give incentives to folks on welfare to seek employment, cut down on the number of kids born to poor, unwed mothers, and cut down on the federal deficit.

Now, to those of you who think I am a racist for this - NO, I am not. Welfare has no color - folks of all colors and backgrounds are on the welfare roles.

For those of you who think I am slamming those on welfare - NO, I am not. Our welfare system has created a trap in which many people have no incentive to get off of welfare. However, folks who misuse welfare money for their habits, whether legal or illegal, are wasting my tax dollars and misusing the money - I make an exception, I AM slamming them.

For those of you who think I am slamming unwed mothers, NO, I am not. I AM slamming those who either do not care that they are bringing children into the world that they cannot support or care for, or who are having kids for the sole purpose of collecting additional money from the government.

Mr. Obama, I do not blame you for the state of welfare. But, since you are the self appointed champion of the poor and middle classes, it would seem to me that you would be leading the fight to reform welfare, make it workable, and get people off of it. So far, I have seen no such effort.

So, Mr. Obama, can you answer the questions?

2 comments:

Margot said...

Sound like good solutions to me. However, you will get an answer about the same time that Glenn Beck's red phone to the White House rings

Anonymous said...

I'm with Margot - you running in the next election? :)