Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I Hate the Toyota Prius

Toyota's Prius and I don't see eye to eye ....

This little hybrid car is one of the ugliest vehicles ever made. I have driven a couple of them on rentals, and I must say that I am impressed with the technology. 47mpg, and pretty peppy. If Toyota had spent a fraction of their time trying to design something that actually looked good to use the technology, they'd have a winner. If someone wants to buy one to get the mileage, I have no problem with that - if they can stand the ugliness ....

My problem is the damned irritating commercials Toyota is running for them. I hated the song when it first came out in the '70s - it is abrasive, and gets under your skin like fingernails across a chalkboard. The ad agency that came up with this has to be based in San Francisco ....



Note to Toyota - sell your car on its merits. People who want to buy it for the mileage will buy it. Trying to sell it as the answer to Obama/Algore's Global Warming Farce is demeaning, and frankly disgusting. (Apparently trying to sell it that way isn't working very well - sales figures for the Prius this year are pretty dismal, from what I've seen.)

6 comments:

Kath said...

Thank you, thank you, thank YOU!! So it's not just me.

The first time I saw those commercials, I was like -- are those people all in freaky costumes or are they -- huh??? Are they trying to make it look like Wizard of Oz and the yellow brick road? Didn't the little people all spring up to wave good-bye?

Then the more you see it, the WORSE it gets!! For a while I didn't even know what car it was, bec. I was looking at these scary-ass people jumping up and waving like a wheat field.

Those commercials are freaking CREEPY.

Anonymous said...

Well, since you brought it up, and since you are such a wealth of info: Here is where I am at the moment....what would you pick?

Honda Insight, cheapest hybrid buy-in but my best Honda was my CRV, and it averaged 31mpg so I don't think I would be happy trading the space for the mileage gained in the long run. Keep in mind, I drive cars till they die! My alternate to the CRV might be the Ford Edge if I’m not looking hybrid. I admire Ford for sticking it out without the handout. CRV and Edge both keep USA jobs. Hondas last forever.

But if I went with a sedan, I really like the Milan (H) vs. Altima (H). Family has had good success with Fords but also with Nissan. The Milan is the most expensive, so I need good justification to go there. :)

Muscle cars aren't built for 3 hours commuting each day. Sorry.

Kath said...

I drive a Tahoe. A new one. Black.

It will last forever.

67Cougar said...

You will notice that I didn't slam Toyota's technology - merely their ad agency and the designers. My family owns two Toyotas (good looking ones, though). I'd much rather drive those for a long commute than my Ford truck.

GM Tahoe? Sorry, I'm a Ford man.

67Cougar said...

Oh - the Ford Edge is a gas hog - I've rented a couple, as was VERY disappointed with 16-18mpg. Our Expedition with a 5.4 in it gets 16 ....

Kath said...

67, I knew you were going to say Ford.

But honestly, I traded in the old Tahoe to get the new Tahoe and wasn't anything wrong with the old one. It was getting worn out on the inside more than anything.

They've always been great for me.