Sunday, May 1, 2011

Why The Donald Is Good For America

Donald Trump is good for American politics, and good for the Republican Party.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think he has a prayer of being elected President. In truth, I hope he doesn't run. However, he is serving an important function, and I believe will continue to do so.

His personality and 'I don't give a damn what people think' attitude allows him to bring up and address subjects that mainstream Republican candidates don't dare touch. Obama's birth certificate, for instance. If Trump hadn't forced this issue, we still wouldn't know for sure. Obama would still be twisting the birther knife into his political opponents. Now, the issue is dead, except for a few diehard conspiracy nuts. If any Republican candidate had pursued it at all, much less with Trump's zeal, their candidacy would have been pronounced dead.

I hope Trump continues bringing up subjects that are sore points to Obama and the left. I hope he keeps punching their buttons and making them respond.

No comments: