Wednesday, December 1, 2010

May The Funk Be With You

A quick visit to a local discount store at lunchtime almost cost me my lunch. I enter the store, and grab a cart. I'm pushing the cart down a main aisle, and kind of notice a couple of women in front of me. One is young, teen perhaps, the other looks to be in her late 30s or early 40s. I will not mention their ethnicity, it is irrelevant to this observation.

They stop in the aisle, apparently discussing something. I get to within 20-25 feet, and it hits me. A powerful stench, it causes me to gag out load. I almost lose my lunch right there in the middle of the aisle. At first, I don't realize where it is coming from. As I continue walking, it gets stronger the closer to these women I get. They are actually seperated by about 15 feet now. The stench seems to be a mix of body odor, halitosis, and the putrid smell of flesh rotting.

As I pass the older woman and get nearer the younger one, it is apparent that the older one is the source of the odor. From snippets of conversation I hear, they are mother/daughter.

How awful. How can you stink that bad, and not know it? How can you stink that bad and your family not notice it? Or do they think they are being kind by not mentioning it to you? If I smelled bad, I would want someone to tell me so I could take care of it.

Lady, please ... take a long, thorough shower. Use some deodorant. Your fellow shoppers, and I suspect your family, will be grateful.

(And no, this was not at a Walmart ...)

No comments: