Sunday, November 29, 2009

Ode to Jo



I lost one of my best buddies yesterday. Jodie, a black and tan Cocker Spaniel, had been one of our family members for 9 years. A blood disorder took her from us suddenly and unexpectedly.



Those of you who have pets, particularly dogs, know how they become members of the family - they are not just pets. We love them, perhaps because they love us back unconditionally. We love them too much - their relatively short life span means that we are setting ourselves up for pain when we lose them. I think the pain is worth it - although I am very sad now at her loss, I can't imagine having gone through the past 9 years without my Jo.


2 comments:

Margot said...

OMG - so sorry. I know how horrible that is. Have done it before and as I look at this beast of a mutt on the floor by my desk I know I will be there again. But you are right. There are days that Bentley (the dog) provides the comic relief that sends my boys off to school laughing and he loves me despite how i behave. Don't know what we did before he found us and can't imagine this house without all 90 pounds lumbering around. People who don't have dogs dont' understand, but the grief is very real. I will be thinking about you and yours. Jodie was an adorable dog and I love the picture at the table with the bowl and Coke! She'll be waiting for you.

Anonymous said...

My heart grieves with you, because we have felt that pain too. My Lab is my bff, lol. Okay, maybe she is a little lower on the food chain than my husband. Our cat on the other hand, thinks she runs the house and we all rank lower than her. The newest baby has a birthday this month. Two years and 100 lbs of Chocolate Lab. He still wants to sit in my lap. Ha, where? And one swipe of his tongue is.. well, you get the picture. I like what Margot said about comic relief. We have shared a lot of laughter over our pets, and I wouldn't trade them for a pet-hair-free environment for anything. :)